Work Ethic Diploma Program
The Chamber in partnership with Garrett County Public Schools has launched a Work Ethic Diploma Program to address the workforce challenges by creating a pipeline of prospective employees who possess those quality attributes desired by employers. By meeting established criteria, local students will earn a Work Ethic Diploma upon graduating which will guarantee them job interviews and better wages. The program is open to Garrett County Public High Schools and Home School students.
The Work Ethic Diploma Program is designed to address the workforce challenges by:
- Supplying Garrett County employers with skilled workers.
- Producing an emerging workforce prepared to face the challenges of a global marketplace.
- Be a filtering for hiring and selecting candidates that have demonstrated knowledge, skills, abilities, and commitment to work.
- Reinforcing the value of positive Work Ethic and commitment to successful employment.
- Recognizing a common, identifiable metric of work habits.
- Developing and improving soft skills of Garrett County students.
- Participating business/organizations will be recognized through various marketing tools i.e. on the Garrett County Chamber's website, at graduation ceremonies, through news releases and articles in circulated publications, etc.;
- Businesses/organizations will have the opportunity to provide information on current job trends, hiring process, general benefits and provide a point of contact for interested students;
- Businesses/organizations will have the opportunity to provide data/feedback on potential employees with Work Ethic Diplomas;
Contact Holly Lane or 301.387.6171.
Aquatic Center, Inc.
Bear Creek Traders
Butler Painting & Remodeling, LLC
Byco Enterprises, Inc.
DCL Mountain Maids & Home Services
Deep Creek Marina
Deep Creek Shop 'n Save Fresh
First United Bank & Trust
Garrett Container Systems, Inc.
Garrett Regional Medical Center
Huey's Ice Cream
Lake Life Boat Rental
Legacy Home Corp.
McHenry Beverage Shoppe
Mountain State Brewing Company
Naylor's Ace Hardware
Perkins Restaurant & Bakery
Ruth Enlow Library of GC
Savage River Lodge
Silver Tree Marine, LLC
The Garrett County Republican
The Greene Turtle Sports Bar & Grille
The Tourist Trap
Tomanetti's Pizzeria and Italian Eatery
Trader's Coffee House
Students Who Have Earned A Work Ethic Diploma
The Garrett County Chamber of Commerce and Garrett County Public Schools presented Work Ethic Diplomas to 32 Class of 2019 graduates from Northern and Southern High Schools.
To qualify for a Work Ethic Diploma, students had to earn a minimum of points in the following criteria: Discipline Standard, Attendance Standard, Absence Standard, Work Experience, Community Service/Internship Project Standard, Overall Grade Point Average Standard, Team Work Standard. They also had to complete an exit interview.
Students were also given the option to earn points by submitting to a voluntary drug test provided free of charge by the Garrett County Health Department. The students with asterisks by their name opted to participate and tested drug fee, which is indicated on their Work Ethic Diploma. Click here to read the full press release.
The Class of 2019 recipients of the Work Ethic Diploma are:
Ava Ashby *
Dakota Bittinger *
Lindsay Brewer *
Emma Broadwater *
James Dean *
Dillon DeWitt *
Miranda Dillsworth *
Emily Frazee *
Laura Frederick *
Kaitlynn House *
Skyler Hornby *
Tyler Johnson *
Jamie Kight *
Carsyn King *
Allison Morris *
Madison Richard *
Ana Rhoten *
Kyliana Sisler *
Megan Smith *
Sarah Smith *
Sierra Tichnell *
Devin West *