Enter the Garrett County Fishing Contest or the Maryland Fishing Challenge. See details below!
The Garrett County Fishing Contest is sponsored by Deep Creek Outfitters Hardware and Bait House and the Garrett County Chamber of Commerce. The contest is held May 1 - September 30 for freshwater fishing and January 1 - March 30 for ice fishing.
Contestants must submit their entry to Deep Creek Outfitters at 32 Outfitters Way, McHenry, MD. Fish must be caught in Garrett County. Winners of the week receive a certificate and additional certificates are also awarded for the season's largest catches of the following fish:
Largemouth & Smallmouth Bass
56th Annual Fishing Contest Winners Announced for Week Ending August 13, 2016.
- Large Mouth Bass: 6 lbs, 22 inches, caught by Ava Jochims of Swanton, MD.
If you have entered the weekly contest, please submit your fish photos to Holly Lane at email@example.com.
Fishing License Information
Click here for information on purchasing a temporary or annual non-tidal/freshwater fishing license including pricing and requirements for residents and non-residents.
Bill's Outdoor Center
20768 Garrett Highway
Oakland, MD 21550
Deep Creek Outfitter
32 Outfitters Way
McHenry, MD 21541
13164 Garrett Highway
Oakland, MD 21550
Public Access to Lake
Deep Creek Lake Bridge area off of Lake Shore Drive. Parking area where you can launch a canoe and fishing is permitted here.
Cherry Creek at State Park Road and Rock Lodge Road. Pull off area where you can launch a canoe and fishing is permitted here.
McHenry Cove, located off Deep Creek Drive & Ski Harbor Drive. Pull off area where you can launch a canoe and fishing is permitted here.
Deep Creek Outfitters Location
View Fishing Contest at Deep Creek Lake in a larger map
The Maryland Fishing Challenge is a free, year-round tournament sponsored by the Maryland DNR Fisheries Service, recreational fishing organizations and generous sponsors across the state. There are three components of the Maryland Fishing Challenge:
- Angler Award Achievers: Anyone fishing legally in Maryland can catch and record an award-winning fish by landing any of more than 60 eligible species in three categories above a certain minimum size.
- Invasive Species Award: Recognizes anglers for reporting their harvest of eligible invasive fish.
- Yough Component - Each year, a number of lucky youth anglers are invited to the Maryland Fishing Challenge Finale where they are awarded guided fishing trips.
Register Your Trophy Fish!
Registration for the Marlyand Fishing Challenge is easy. If you catch a fish that meets or exceeds the official award size, just take your fish to an official MFC award center to receive your entry ticket and instructions for the online registration process. You'll receive a custom Maryland Fishing Challenge certificate recognizing your catch of an award-winning fish and be eligible to win prizes!
Attention Catch and Release Anglers
- You don't have to keep the fish to quality. Award-sized fish that are released while in-season are eligible.
- Receive a special Govenror's Conservation Award for choosing to release a striped bass 40' or greater during the fishing season.
- Take a clear photo of your fish lying on a tape measure so the size and species can be verified. Submit to an official MFC award center to receive your entry ticket and instructions for the online registration process.